In the 1860's four militia regiments were established to serve in the Bay of Plenty and Waikato districts of New Zealand. The enlisted men, if not already in the North Island of New Zealand, were to be given free passage to a designated port and promised land in the settlements that would be established.
The 1st regiment was sent to Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty.
The 2nd was sent to Alexandra (now Pirongia) and Kihikihi in the Waikato.
The 3rd was stationed at Ngaruawahia, Te Kowhai and Cambridge in the Waikato.
The 4th was stationed at Hamilton in the Waikato.
The information for these pages has been obtained from a variety of sources, including:
The Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives
The Nominal and Descriptive Roll for the 4th Waikato militia
The Land Grant registers for the 4th Waikato militia
The Waikato Times and other publications
The Hamilton Public Library Archives
Papers of H C M Norris
Top of page